Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hello and welcome to 'Holding Forth'...

The world of blogging adored the talented Marija Stephens and her blog ‘Holding Court’. 

 Marija Stephens

Marija was a devoted mother to her two beautiful children, Olivija & Nigel, a loving wife to her husband Cory, a caring daughter to her mother Mary and sister to her brother Phil. She was also a gifted designer & writer that readily shared her vision, her life and her musings via her blog. When Marija wrote a post it was as though she was speaking to each of us directly in a lively conversation between friends, and it was impossible not to fall for her charm, wit, warmth and amazing take on life.

Marija & her husband Cory, Nigel & Olivija and her beloved 'Greek Revival' in Chicago.

Marija had time for everyone, and her comments, emails and phone calls brightened up the day of those around her – near and far. It was a privilege and honour to be her friend, and there wasn’t a dull moment with her around. 


Sadly Marija’s life ended abruptly on July 10, 2010 in a car accident that left her family, friends and blogging community in numbing shock and grief.  Endless tributes flooded the blog-world (please go to the ‘Tributes Index’ to read these) and it was clear that more people than she herself perhaps was aware of loved Marija. 
To honour this remarkable woman, two of Marija's close friends, Charlotta Ward of 'Space for Inspiration' (Sydney, Australia) and Debra Philips of '5th and State' (Chicago, USA) joined together to create ‘Holding Forth’, a blog space we hope will be filled with loving memories of our dear friend. A communal place for those who loved her as much as we did, to remember and celebrate Marija in.


We hope to honour our beloved friend and to eventually hand over the content of this blog to her family as a gift that forever will tell just how amazing we all thought Marija was and how blessed we feel to have been given the opportunity to know her.

So please join us as we ‘Hold Forth’..

x Charlotta & Debra

7 comments:

Living It At Home said...

I think of Marija often and about what happened to her and her lovely family. It was truly a shock and she will be missed very much by all of her devoted followers. I myself will miss her beautifully written posts. I would look forward to reading them everyday. She was always very sweet and thoughtful when she would leave comments on my blog too. I often think about all the plans that she had and all of her dreams for her children and it breaks my heart. Life is just too short and we need to cherish every moment of everyday.
Marija was also the winner of my first ever giveaway. I was new to blogging as she was and I thought I would give it a try. I was so delighted it was her that won even though I only knew her through blogging. There was something very special about her and it showed in her writing and how much she cared about her family. I wish I could have met her in person. I am very thankful that you have started this blog in her memory. I think it is a wonderful tribute. Thank you~

xojamilyn

eddieross said...

Marija was truly a gift to everyone she ever touched, most of all her adoring husband Cory and her two little ones, Nigel and Olivija. We were blessed to know her personally, and her generosity, her sweet smile, her sharp wit and her laugh--her beautiful, infectious laugh--will echo in our hearts forever. We love you, Marija and we miss you terribly. Thank you, dear Debra and Charlotta for honoring her so beautifully. We look forward to carrying on her love and her light here, with you.

Eddie + Jaithan

Vanya-Endless Inspiration said...

I didn't have the privilege of knowing Maria, she sounds like an incredible lady.

I think this is such a wonderful, thoughtful and inspired idea, well done to you both. I'm sure this will be something her family will treasure for the rest of their lives.

Best wishes

cityfarmer said...

bless you both for placing this blog thru grief and tears.
I'm sure even typing the words was painful.
We support you.
Even though most of us did not "know" this lovely lady
... we feel like we do now.
Years from now this will bless her entire family.

Thank you for struggling through the pain of it all for such a beautiful end result.

Wendy said...

Her death affected me and many of my blog readers, though none of us knew her personally. I think we all have thought of her sweet family from time to time and hope they are coping with such a sad loss. It's nice you are doing this.

Leah Moss said...

Debra and Charlotta, Thank you for doing this. I am continually awed and inspired by the warmth and generosity of the blogging community.

Marija was a bright spot, and my heart aches for her sweet family whom she loved above everything. Cory's tribute was so moving and heart wrenching. Reading his openess has made me value my own family all the more. It takes so much strength and love and will to bear this. Cory, Olivija, and Nigel, I wish you all the prayers and blessings in the world. You are very loved, even by those whom you've never met!

Malvini FF said...

I'm in awe ...

vxx